Friday, June 27, 2008

Ch 8 Patterns of Interaction

I was very interested in reading this section of the book regarding the patterns of interaction. I especially was interested in relating it to my own work environment and therefore understanding it better. The correlation between high-density work environment and a low one made perfect sense when given my own example. I work in a restaurant so it is a pretty fair assumption that we are all a fairly dense group because we see each other so frequently. However I could also argue that there is a difference in the day crew and night crew and that is more of where a "clique" would form. Being that the night crew spends a good amount of time around each other in comparison to the time they see the day crew, it is more probable that they would choose to spend more outside time together as well because they "know" each other better. And that is exactly how the night clique at my work is. We tend to spend more time outside of work together because of our high density interaction at work.

1 comment:

SantaCruz said...

I found the section on patterns of interaction interesting as well. I liked the example you used regarding your work environment being fairly dense. In other words you have established relationships with the crew you work with. This makes perfect sense. The law enforcement agency I work for is much the same way. The detectives all seem to socialize and relate to one another than with any other group in our office. They are certainly a “clique.” Equally, our night shifters have a much different bond with one another in patrol that our day shifters. I believe this occurs because they are forced to work as a closer unit because there is less law enforcement at night and they are dependent on one another, and they work more closely together.

I guess if we examined many organizations, both public and private, we would find similar interactions with these organizations as well.